In this video, you'll learn how to add new fields to Flourish. Scroll down for step-by-step instructions on how to add fields.
How to Add Fields to Flourish:
- While logged into an administrator account: from the home screen, hover over the administrator button in the top right corner and select "Admin".
- Scroll down the admin panel and click on "Studio".
- In the Studio, select from the list of modules which module you would like to add a new field to and click on it.
- Click on "Fields" and then click "Add Field".
- In the "Data type" dropdown, select how you want to keep track of the information you will save to the new field. The most commonly-used choices are textfields, textareas, dates, times, dropdowns, and checkboxes.
- Type in a "Field name" to designate how Flourish keeps track of the data. This can only contain alphanumeric characters with no spaces and only underscores.
- Type in a "Display label". This will be what the user actually sees when interacting with this field in Flourish.
- For example, if we wanted to make a field called "Example Field", we could make the field name "example_field" and the display label "Example Field". "example_field" represents how Flourish handles the data in the code but users will see "Example Field" when using the website.
- Depending on the data type selected, additional arguments could be asked for to finish setting up the field. The most commonly-adjusted data type is the drop down menu, where you need to type in the choices that would be selected from the drop down. Please check out our article on How to Change Dropdowns for more information about how to do that. However, most of the time you don't need to change any of the other default values, so when you are finished customizing the field, click SAVE above the data type.
- The new field has been added to the module! However, by default, the field will not show up in Flourish unless we adjust the view pages related to the module. Check out our article on How to Change View Layouts for how to see any added fields.